Thursday, October 27, 2005

My First, Last, and Only Harriet Miers Post

Well, it looks like Harriet Miers “decided” to withdraw her nomination for the SCOTUS seat. Tragic, and yet, ultimately understandable.

I haven’t really weighed in before now because what I know about law and judicial process would probably about fill a bottle cap…half way.

However, I guess now that it’s “over”, I figured I’d toss out of few gems of wisdom, nuggets, if you will, of insightful and cogent observation.

To my mind, the Supreme Court of the United States is just that. The SUPREME Court. The top of the heap, the ultima, the golden ring on the judicial merry-go-round. Getting to serve on the Supreme Court would seem to me to be the absolute penultimate achievement for a lawyer, a benchmark achievement of a life given in service to the Rule of Law.

It’s like getting to Quarterback in the SuperBowl, pitch in the World Series, or go for the gold medal in the Olympics. As a Supreme Court justice, you are absolutely the last and final word on all matters of jurisprudence. Lives, quite literally, are in the balance in some of the decisions you make. It is a unique and sacred trust.

That being said, in my simple middle-class mind, you reserve this honor, this privilege, this awesome and humbling burden of responsibility for your heavy hitters, your gold-medal contenders, your top of the heap types who have so distinguished themselves through a lifetime of gritty, meaty and relevant service that the confirmation process is essentially a formality.

And I’m sorry, but Harriet Miers, as nice as she may be, as qualified as she may be as a lawyer, simply doesn’t fit this mold. She was simply a bad choice. No reflection on her. She was merely put in an unfortunate and uncomfortable position through the well-intentioned but (IMHO) misguided actions of the President.

So, I feel bad for Ms. Miers, but withdrawing her nomination was the right thing to do.


Linked at Mudville Gazette, Stop the ACLU, Basil's Blog, and Political Teen