Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Things I've Learned Being Stationed in Okinawa

During my time here in the Japanese prefecture of Okinawa, I've learned many valuable life lessons. In the spirit of brotherly love, which of course so thoroughly infuses this site at all times, I thought I would share these insights with you, my adoring public.
  1. Referring to your Japanese co-workers as "my little people" does not endear you to them to any appreciable degree.
  2. Making funny Charlie Chan faces behind their backs is only funny until you caught.
  3. Raw fish, really, ain't all that bad.
  4. The Okinawans endure 4 or 5 major typhoons a year. None of their houses collapse. Someone should send a memo to Florida.
  5. Japanese beer, really, is pretty damn good.
  6. Referring to your groundskeeper as a "Lawn Ninja," while not very culturally sensitive, is still pretty funny.
  7. I had a server actually apologize because the service was running slow. Apologized. I didn't quite know how to handle it. I'm just so used to, "You're lucky I didn't dump it in your lap, wiseass."
  8. You can leave your car unlocked, unless there's a lot of American's around. Hmmm.
  9. Still, as nice as it is, there just ain't no place like the good ol' U.S. of A.