Friday, May 13, 2005

Parting Shot On Evolution

In the discussions of evolution, there in an old saw which goes something like, "If you had an infinite number of monkeys typing on an infinite number of typewriters, eventually one of them will crank out Hamlet by Shakespeare, through simple random chance."

Maybe.

But, this quaint anecdote fails to answer some fundamental questions:

1) Where do you PUT an infinite number of monkeys?
2) Where did you GET an infinite number of monkeys?
2) How do you feed them all?
3) What do you do with all the paper that ISNT a shakespearean epic?
4) What do you do with all the monkey shit?
5) Who built the typewriters?

In my mind, Darwinian evolution doesn't answer these questions. But then again, as has been pointed out, I am uninformed, and unscientific. So I guess I better just leave it to the professionals.

UPDATE:

I mean seriously, come ON people.